Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Watching the Spike Lee "Oldboy" Pt. 1

Never seen the original. SPOILERS AHOY!

Know it's a revenge flick. Supposedly there's a TWEEST. Have had Korean original on my radar for years, but I'm expecting hella brutality. An hour in, here are my thoughts:

  • Damn, Josh Brolin be unlikeable. He's going balls out on this. I call this "shameless shameful" acting: when you are willing to look real, real bad. It's a compliment.
  • Wow, this is a stylish movie. The color themes are quite beautiful and surprisingly bright while retaining a gritty, dirty look. Sounds oxymoronic, I know. Maybe it's just moronic.
  • They feed him vodka to prevent DTs? The choice of tv shows is rather serendipitious: mixed martial arts, yoga, kung fu movies. Is that on purpose or a shout out? There are some strange choices going on here.
  • Oh shit! Sam Jackson! MULTIPLE VILLAINS! Score!
  • Okay, so my homey Brolin has been mentally and physically prepped for something that took 20 years to reach fruition. He's being unleashed as some kind of retribution, on the surface. But what if it's further revenge? Or what if he's supposed to be the revenge visited on the Main Villain's opponent? That was a tortured sentence. And that's a helluva job on preparation.
  • Main Villain (here on out: Evil Wickus) has a completely different voice from this actor and I can't place the accent. I really can't, it's throwing me bad. I am eager to see the Korean counterpart to Evil Wickus. I have a feeling he'll be a bit fey.
  • Holy shit, Brolin just hammered up the entire cast of the Beat It video. This is a really well shot fight sequence. A little too much delay in the mass attacks for believability, but easily forgiven with the great camera work and linear visuals.
  • Does this Olsen chick remind anybody else of Maggie Gyllenhaal. How the fuck do you spell that? Gyllenhall? Gylennhall? Gylenhal(llllllll)?
  • So here's the proposition: Who is Evil Wickus? Why is this happening? Let's have a mini breakdown right here. Think out loud with me, won't you?
    • EW raped and killed Brolin's wife
    • EW is threatening Brolin's kid
    • EW has a badass bodyguard
    • EW offers confession, proof and suicide (bullet to my brain) if Mr. B can answer his questions three  two. Who am I? Why am I doing this?
    • EW has told Brolin to think on his sins, his past misdeeds.
    • As EW was the rapist, putting his current age from 38-48, citing an approx age of 20 when rape/murder occurred. 
    • EW's offer of suicide/confession implies that he has a deathwish/no attachment to life. If he's not lying. I don't think he is, for some reason.
      • Is EV terminal? For 20 years? Unlikely.
    •  EW is ridiculously rich. Diamonds. Untraceable. Extravagent. Why? Why wouldn't the offer of a sparing Brolin's daughter's life be enough? Strange gesture.
    •  Is Evil Vickus* actually illegitimate or cast-off Brolin Jr? Is this a daddy thing? Man, that is some serious patience to work out your abandonment issues.
    • 20 years is also a long time to torture someone and then let them possibly escape from torture. Why? The truly devious mind would envision this whole thing as a way to torture Brolin even more--forcing his admittance to his complicity in his own demise or forcing him to kill his remaining family (daughter). If subject is a family annihilator, he is the slowest one ever.
    • EW's own daughter, own wife, own family were taken from him by Brolin, tangentially? Did he maim EW's daddy in a bar fight? 
    • I'm getting nowhere with this.
43 minutes to go. Well paced so far. TBC.

*sorry about all that. Sometimes I type it like I pronounce it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say WUT?