Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Monday, June 9, 2014

Sharlto Copley. Hmm. What's Up With That?

I saw Elysium (Dir: Neil Blomkamp) recently. It was a really solid sci-fi movie. I was pleasantly surprised. But I after I looked it up and discovered it was a Blomkamp (District 9) movie, it all clicked into place.

Well, you know, I actually looked it up after I saw/heard Copley in a scene. I was years late to the party with District 9, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I especially loved the realism of the FX. So believable. I mean, a lot of sci fi has pretty or awesome looking things, but it's much rarer to find something that looks to be of actual substance.

Anyway, Spoiler Alert, Elysium is like District 9 but with healthcare as it's subject in place of xenophobia and ethnic cleansing.

You might imagine; it rung a chord with me.

The other Copley movie I've seen, many times tx to Cinemax program scheduling ocd stalker issue) is The A-Team. Now, frankly, The A-Team disappointed me. I loved the series as a kid and still appreciate its ridiculous glory, but the movie fell flat. My first impression was a total "meh!"

Upon inevitable re-watch (premium channels only, baybee! i cants takes no commercials!) of the movie, I realized it had some very well done parts. It was just bloated and overreached itself. And I'm not sure how much of A-Team was doomed by The Losers. Because The Losers is one of my bomb ass favorites. It's on the Bef List. And The Losers is based on a graphic novel that loosely resembled....The A-Team t.v. series.

It's the Ciiiiiiiircle of Liiiiiiife, y'all.

That is to say, I was brainwashed into having a tolerance and even affection for The A-Team. (Also, Bradley Cooper's body. What? Is that even possible? I'll take two and don't call me in the morning.)

Anyhoo, from starting with District and ending with Elysium, here have been my thoughts on Msr. Copley:

  • That accent is fascinating. Is that a V for a W? Cool.
  • Man, this guy is having a bad day.
  • Cool movie. Too gross for me to know if I think this guy is cute, though.
  • Hmm, he just lit a guy on fire. 
  • Murdock has gotta be the funnest and easiest character to play, right?
  • Nice accents. Interesting voice.
  • Still, there's some good chemistry and some really natural riffing. 
  • I still can't tell if I think this guy is cute.
  • Okay, yeah, maybe this guy is cute.
  • No. No, he's not. Funny, though. He seems funny.
  • Hey, is that the guy from District 9? He seems kinda mean.
  • Holy shit, that guy from District 9 is a fucking psychopathic killer!
  • Okay, I came in halfway through. Let me revisit this movie from the beginning.
  • Ah, that's why Matt Damon was being such a dick. Five days to live, sheesh.
  • Nope, that is totally Sharlto and is an unequivocal FuckHead.
  • Do I think this guy is cute?
  • I totally think this guy is cute.
  • Wait, do I?
Which is all to say, what a good excuse to watch District 9 again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say WUT?