Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

So Much to Do, So Little....

Time? Desire? Energy?

D. All of the above.

The inside of my head feels like a pinball machine, and I think I've been at full tilt for about six weeks now. There are the immediate practical things I have to do: putting utilities in my name, sorting out my paperwork for my new job, banking issues.

There are the less immediate practical things I have to do: unpack, buy food, sort out my computer issues (of which there are many, naturally), send thank you cards, get GODDAMN MAP OF LOS ANGELES. (That last one is because despite the fact that it saved my life in several major cities and got me home last night in one piece, I strongly suspect my Garmin GPS might be plotting to kill me. It tried to get me to go on the 495 today to cover less than 2 miles. This is obviously either a glitch, or the workings of a HAL-level homicidal machine. It will lull me into a false sense of security, then, BAM--I'll find myself on I-10 or the 405 at rush hour and DIE. I could be wrong, but I'm keeping my eye on that thing.)

There are the immediate and not so important impractical things that I want to do: sleep, hide, check out my new cable/DVR thingy, hook up my DVD, watch a movie, write some posts about all the weird feelings I'm having, make a bunch of OCD lists of stuff to do, research the things on that list.

I freely admit that the categorizations of the things I've listed don't necessarily make sense. My trip to Target today is a prime example.

Thanks to my wonderful friends, I had a Target gift card. So today, with my Uncle due to visit at 2 pm (no word on that so far), I decided I HAD to go to Target for food and cleaning supplies and maybe some other stuff, including a chair for my uncle to sit on when he came over.

Well, three hours and an almost-disaster with the 405 on-ramp, I returned home. I have no food, but I got that chair dammit. And cleaning supplies. Which I'm not really sure why I felt so compelled to buy, but buy them I did. Special ones, for granite and stainless steel.

This type of behavior, combined with unpacking, has led me to believe I may be insane. Or just have no sense at all.  Unpacking has been an interesting exercise, allowing me to do a post mortem on what must have been going through my head while preparing for this trip.

"Oh, look, I packed my Guess silver pumps, but not my exercise shoes. Well, I can see myself doing that."

"Okay, did I really need to bring all this makeup? I don't even wear that much makeup. Well, maybe it will come in handy."

"Alright, who's the wise ass who decided to wrap all this stuff in my sewing scraps instead of my clothing? This adds up to an entire box of remnants. Oh well, I *can* use this fabric to create screens on these shelves. Guess this was handy after all."

"A frying pan. With a lid. And no saucepan. I don't even think my entire silverware set is here. Did I seriously not pack any drinking glasses? I know I set one aside....."

"Armadillo. Candle holders. Glass frog. I have a lot of Asian themed knick knacks. How'd that happen? Who packed this little Buddha? WHAT HAVE I DONE WITH THE LIMITED SPACE I HAD???? WHAT WAS I THINKING???"

"Wait a minute, NO BOXCUTTERS???? I quit."

To summarize this tangent, let me say that my Target shopping experience was so overwhelming that I didn't even stop to look at the makeup. At all. Not even the sale stuff.

The mind boggles. My uncle better come by and sit his ass down on this chair I just got done putting together. I'm just saying.

But all is not futility, I have accomplished some things. To wit, my first piece of decorating, actually done my first day here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say WUT?