Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Days on the Job: 1. Accomplishments: 0.

Well, it's hard to get work done when you have no telephone, no computer, and no one who needs you do anything.

Apparently, they forgot to put in a work ticket for my workspace. Which wouldn't be such a big deal, but all the IT support and hardware comes from Canada.

Whoops.

So, with everybody busy doing their own thing, I filled out some paperwork that I had neglected. Nice that my procrastination paid off. I didn't talk to many folks, but there was a familiar face there:


(pssst. . . he eats power lines for food)

My titular boss took me out for lunch. This was the view. I don't like to reveal a lot of personally identifiable information in my posts, but there is a *slight* geographic hint in this pic to my current location:


(I love you, Spartacus.)

I actually left work early to go to my trying-to-be-new bank. The whole internet application for this account is FUBARed, and I had been advised to seek FACETIME. Unfortunately, even though Kevin was super nice, we still couldn't get it resolved. Hopefully a fax or two tomorrow will sort it out.

If not, I'm going to the Dark Side: Chase Manhattan. You know, in my free time.

I have heard lots of talk about how people around here aren't friendly, but everybody has been real nice to me. Maybe it's because I've only interacted with known associates to date. (Target did have a scary vibe, but that just could have been the Sunday Shopping Crazies).

My Gunkle Blip and his Special Lady Friend brought by a housewarming gift of the best kind:


Delicious! I love the smell of fresh roses in the morning. Smells like napalm. So see? People can be real friendly.


OR MAYBE they is all just being nice to me so they can get inside my apartment and case the joint.


Okay, so tomorrow my other boss will be in, I should have a computer, and life should begin. Have I mentioned that its now come up a few times that my Other Boss (OB) can be a bit of a handful, has some social skill problems, and has pissed off many of the folks in the office royally?


This was not explicitly laid out in my job description, but its seeming more and more like I've been flown in to be OB's guiding light or something. What the hell? Am I like the Boss Whisperer or something? I should call shenanigans, but I think it's a little too late in the game for that.


OB himself, during my interview, mentioned that he sometimes needed a reality check and liked honesty. And today the resident Office Queen, who seems very nice, said that sometimes you just have to "put him in his place."


Hrm. I know some of you may not believe this, but I'm not actually comfortable with telling people to shove it and getting all confrontational. Especially not when they sign my paychecks and we haven't even been on a date yet.


Oh well, the die is cast. Let me close with a fun fact for any of my former workmates out there. When I asked about time collection, how to charge my time, etc, the HR lady gave me this look and was all "Oh, we don't do that here."


But surely, I persisted, you signed off on something, entered a log, something? Indicated  hours to overhead? What if I worked four days at 10 hours and wanted to take a Friday off?


She looked me square in the eye and said, "That's between you and your boss. As far as I know, you work 40 hours every week and that's it."


Wha-Wha-WHAAAAAT??? They just cut you a check? No project numbers. No timesheets. Nothing.


Crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say WUT?