Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Autopsies are the new Lighthouses

Misconstruing economic facts makes for fun headlines.

I'm sitting here as my first week here draws to a close. I got here last Friday, and here I sit, in an actual chair with an actual couch behind me, typing away. It seems a much longer time than just a week, and that's probably because the trip itself took a couple of days. But still, it seems I've been gone so much longer than that.

At the same time, I'm struggling with what to do for holiday plans. We actually get some time off from work, paid vacation (!), and it would seem foolish not to take advantage of it. The cost of planning travel this late in the game is prohibitive, and I feel almost silly for coming back so soon after leaving. For though I feel its been a great long while, I know its only been a matter of days.

Even so, I already feel like I don't have a place to go back to. This isn't entirely accurate--I actually have a bedroom waiting for me. I'd have no car. My family in P.C. isn't really celebrating the holidays b/c they are in the middle of a move. There's folks I should visit in N.C., but the additional travel time makes the matter a little tricky---they do a big deal on the 26th. Square in the middle of everyone else's schedules. Not very copacetic with a my schedule and a trip to P.C.

Furthermore, couldn't I get a lot done if I stayed here? How often have a longed for time to just sit in my house and have a staycation? I certainly could stand some daylight hours to try and accomplish things both in my apartment and around town.

Maybe I've just used up all my decision making abilities for 2010, and I just can't figure anymore logistics. To be sure, the thought of more travel, more inconvenience, and more feelings of displacement aren't appealing.

Neither is the idea of showing up somewhere and being at loose ends. I've some experience in revisiting old places, and it can be painful to realize how un-integral you are in people's lives.

I always get blue over the winter holidays. Guess this year is no exception.

An Arizona sunset from my trip out:


I have the extreme urge to eat all the food in my house. It's a psychological thing: I haven't had a solid food supply for weeks now, and mah belleh wants to make up for it. Though I'm already 10 lbs heavier than I was 30 days ago (from....air?).

No matter what my mental state, rest assured that I always find ways to amuse myself. The below bit of tomfoolery delights me to no end:



Heh. That's staying.

Rewatched "From Hell" in bits and pieces the last few nights. Any thoughts on this graphic novel adaptation, sportsfans?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say WUT?