Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Monday, February 28, 2011

What's The Last Movie That Made You Cry?

This is a question I got asked today. I had a ready answer, already written up and stashed in away. The last movie that made me cry f-ed me up so bad I think I wrote about three different times.

With my move and the few possessions I wanted to retain being scattered to the four winds, I don't have access to all those angst-ridden ponderings. But lucky, lucy you, I got at least one of them.

So, playground rules in effect: I'll show you mine with an understanding of reciprocity.

Disclaimer: Though I say it below, I feel the need to be clear on this point--I don't do weepy movie time. I don't like crying in general, and it's few and far between that I find book, music, film or other media that inspires it.

The film in question was The Jacket. My original thoughts were a lot less linear and much more reactive. This is not a logical review of the movie. It's a visceral response translated into the weak words I could muster to convey what I felt. Here's an excerpt of what I originally wrote:


This movie. This damn movie just hit me in that secret place you live; that private grotto where you stake out your last stand, you and all your fears. 
It wasn't enough to cry during the movie. I ended up crying afterwards as well.
Maybe I'm just tired, and getting soft and sentimental in my dotage.
But I hate crying. I hate it.
There is a horrific beauty in this movie, in more ways than one. Ironically, I was looking for poems on beauty today to send to some friends. And here I come home to a horrorshow marvel, a poetic phantasm. 
But more than that, here is the piercing heartache of terrible purpose. The kind of purpose that destroys as it fulfills. And failure to fulfill is beyond destruction. It's worse than death. 
Failure means you stay here and live forever, knowing in your heart you took the wrong train.
Typing it out makes it easier. We are, after all, reactive creatures and require proof in the pudding. So after making a lifetime out of dodging destiny, it becomes easy to dismiss existential worry--there's no evidence. None except that wriggling, niggling, mildew worm that shuffles just to the right of your line of sight: missed ya, missed ya, missed ya. . .
Tomorrow is almost here, look at all this sensory input. Hard and concrete. Large and discrete. Easy to measure, easy to feel. None of this gobbledegook, if you will.



I read that now, and I can understand that it might mean nothing to others. Truthfully, the Tyrant known as Distance has given me some sense of calm about that film. I even wonder to myself, was it really that bad?

But believe this bub, I will Never Watch That Fucking Thing Again. I can be detached discussing it right now. But that mofo carved out my heart and did the Mexican Hat Dance on it. I was weeping, weeping, halfway through the film.

A movie hasn't filled me with that much anguish since, ironically, The Pianist. Another movie I will Never Again View.

(Sidebar: I hate movies about the Shoah. Hate hate hate hate. I hate them because they are true, and I can't ever separate the action on screen from the reality that This Shit Right Here Actually Happened to These People. I watched The Pianist under protest. The guy who picked it up as our rental did it despite my displeasure. He then had the audacity to look at me halfway through and say, "God, what's your problem? If it's so bad we'll turn it off." Yes, he was a dick. Yes, I hope his falls off.)

So what can I add to the above that might make some kind of sense? Here's what made The Jacket so gut wrenching: tragic inevitability. Every frame just drips with Impending Doom and Horrific Consequences. It's awash in Inescapable Destiny. People searching for tiny patches of sunlight, who would be content with mere seconds in the sun, but instead are pummeled by tsunamis of terrible circumstance.

And I think it's so particularly poignant because the catastrophes are so small, so personal. We've all heard a version of the quote that if you kill one man it's a tragedy, if you kill thousands it's a statistic. Well here is one small, singular tragedy. The lens of the camera magnifies it to an epic exploration of the horror of flawed fate.

I'm sure all of this just oozes something psychologically disturbing and embarrassing about me, but the truth is I've never bothered to revisit the whole thing long enough to do a post mortem. Some movies bum you out. Some harpoon your soul. Thar she blows, mateys.

6 comments:

  1. Movies that I remember making me cry (that are actually in my film collection). Amadeus, ET, Meet Joe Black, Romeo and Juliet (NOT the Leo version), The King and I, Titanic.... Common factor, character(s) I came to care for dies. I'm a pushover for tragedy. It's sad, I cry. I'm sure I've done my best to compensate for your unwillingness to cry. And I know that there are a many other movies, I just don't remember them.
    Never send me to an opera without a box of tissues. I've learned how to weep silently so I don't disturb the non-weepers in an audience. I admire the stoic with iron-clad tear ducts. I walk out of a theater looking like I've been to a funeral. Admonition that it was all "make-believe" wins you nothing. I cried and will cry again, shamelessly. ;-) orchidlover

    ReplyDelete
  2. OL-

    I salute your heartfelt lacrimation. I don't see any fault in crying when moved.

    I feel that crying is kind of like vomiting. It's an ordeal, and when it's passed some people feel better and some people feel worse. I'm one of those people that feel worse. Same for crying. I never feel relieved or spent or tired. I just get in an even worse mood and have a headache.

    It could be genetic, or learned. My family can be retardedly stoic at times. Truly.

    I've never had the pleasure of going to an opera, but the opera music I've heard is so moving, I can imagine weeping. Songs have definitely made me cry before, and being surround by such an acoustic barrage--it must be really overwhelming. Besides, a lot of opera music is the equivalent of a sonic sucker punch--it's supposed to make you sad. Maybe one day I'll have a Julia Roberts moment and break down in tears at my first opera.

    Guess I need to start my life as a hooker, then.

    It's interesting that you not it doesn't matter if it's "make believe." On my short list of boo-hoo films, there are quite a few cartoons. I don't know why (other than Disney always kills off the goddamn parents first thing), but I suspect it has something to do with the artifice being so plain that I don't have to suspend my disbelief. It's a cartoon, so I'm already in the zone. Perhaps some nostalgia for childhood, as well.

    If Amadeus made you gurgle and snot, try Dominick and Eugene. Damn ye, Tom Hulce. Damn ye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flags of Our Fathers, The Blindside, and The Wrestler killed me.

    All for varying reasons.

    I'm not big on crying either, but for some reason, there are times I see Charlotte doing something and I get a little teary-eyed. I think it's because each moment is fleeting and at some point she will be all growned up.

    I also had tears on my eyes when I saw Cats, when whatshername sang "Memory". She hit this note, and it was the most powerful thing. My girlfriend at the time was amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the first time I heard that song it gave me shivers. I agree, there's something to that melody and delivery.

    DId you know that play was based off of a T.S. Eliot book? My cousin had a tape of the whole musical ( I never saw it) and I remember loving songs "Memories," "MacCavity" and "Mr. Mistofolies, Mephistofilies????"---okay, I know I spelled all of those wrong, but I'm in a rush.

    Haven't seen "The Wrestler," but I'm pretty sure it will mess me up.

    The Blind Side made you cry? Whyfor?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Blindeside got me because I could relate to the boy who came from the fucked up family. I could relate to just wanting your mom around, but she's not. I could relate to wanting to belong to a family.

    It practically killed me in the part when he said he never had a bed before. Granted, I never had it that bad, but I could relate to a lot of it and really emphasise with his story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not unusual for me to cry during a movie. But there have been a couple of ghastly breakdowns. In public.

    Million Dollar Baby was pretty bad. Well— gut-wrenching. Should have known better beforehand. All boxing movies are best avoided. Nothing good can ever come of that genre—even with Clint involved. Very bad juju, that. One other noteworthy heartbreaker is Out of Africa. I was with a girlfriend and we were both overcome. Could hardly stand up and leave the theater. Afterward, experienced that sobby, headachy thing Hawk described.

    But the worst are SAD ANIMAL MOVIES or SAD ANIMAL STORIES. Worse than boxing movies. I have learned never to go near one. Never expose a child to Bambi! And do not ever read ”The Red Pony”!

    To omer: Totally right about the power of “Memory”. Gets me every time— but not in a debilitating way (like the aforementioned films).

    And with reference to Hawk’s opera comment: Anyone ever notice the overt melodic similarity between “Memory” and the famous aria from “Madame Butterfly”?
    --bubblebabble

    ReplyDelete

Say WUT?