Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Talk Amongst Yourselves: Chelsea Hotel


Something is stuck in my head, so you know what that means. . .

DISCUSSION TIME!!!

The song is “Chelsea Hotel” by Leonard Cohen. What? You don’t know it?

Well, here at blatherblahg we believe that sharing is caring, so here you go—3.01 minutes of free music, courtesy of playlist.com:


So, go listen and then we can talk.

Seriously, stop reading and go listen.

Now.

Okay, so I don’t know any of the backstory on this song. My take on it is straight out of my brain.

There are a couple hooks in this song for me. One is the image of the Un-Beautiful People, resentful yet defiant

And clenching your fist for the ones like us
who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
you fixed yourself, you said, "Well never mind,
we are ugly but we have the music."

This is made even more poignant when juxtaposed by the preceding lines (I think this is one of those songs that is good upon first listen, but it’s the repeat plays that really make the song.)

You told me again you preferred handsome men
but for me you would make an exception.

Of course, what hooked me first and hardest was the chorus.

Ah but you got away, didn't you babe,
you just turned your back on the crowd,
you got away, I never once heard you say,
I need you, I don't need you,
I need you, I don't need you
and all of that jiving around.


I love the character here. Somebody who doesn’t play the usual yo-yo games.
For some reason, the first time I heard this song I thought of Janis Joplin. Just a random thing there.

In these lines he’s ostensibly talking about someone who rejects the game, walks away from the crap and doesn’t get trapped in the b.s. But the character he’s singing too also seems to be exactly the kind of person who would fall prey to that kind of trap. She’s railing against the gifts given to the beautiful and lucky, and making grand statements about what kind of person she is in opposition---people who are angry are often envious, and when given an “in” are desperate to take it.

So maybe when she “got away” it wasn’t from the falsehood, but fell in with the phonies.
I also wonder if he means she died. The ultimate get-away.

I don't mean to suggest that I loved you the best,
I can't keep track of each fallen robin.
I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel,
that's all, I don't even think of you that often.

Then the closing lines. Is he being honest—this is a strong memory he has, but he’s not particularly sentimental about it or attached to this person?

Or is he using the old writer’s trick of stating exactly the opposite of what he means. Is there a term for this device? When you state plainly the opposite of what you mean, usually contrasted against a narrative that lead in one direction only to be overturned by a contradictory statement or tone.

Two other examples of this that I can think of are The Police’s “Can’t Stand Losing You” and Andrew Bird’s Bowl of Fire’s “Pathetique.” (the wonderfully plaintive closing of “I'm over you, so come on come on ... come on back to me, ok?
Alright.”)

Questions? Answers? Who will pay the dancers?

5 comments:

  1. Ok, I'll bite because I haz chance to listen to the song without a bebe crying for teh bottlez.

    1. The part "you were givng me head" obviously jumps out pretty quick.

    2. From there I think the song could almost be a variant of the Julio Igleses(however you spell it)-Willie Nelson epic "To All the Girls I've Loved Before". Referencing different women and how if there's a revolving-door of loves (or one-night stands) events with the women can almost bleed together.

    3. Maybe the fact that he's say that the woman or women actually got away from him and his line of bullshit?

    That's what I got, but I could just be talking out of my ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @omer...Glad someone bit, omer333. Hawk seemed disappointed not to have started something.

    Hawk, I was fascinated to learn you thought of Janis Joplin.

    She was the immediate image that popped into my head when I heard:

    "Ah but you got away, didn't you babe,
    you just turned your back on the crowd..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omer--

    1. Yeah, I guess Is sort of zipped by that one. Guess there's a prioritization difference in our thinking here. :)

    2. I agree the song has a vagueness about it that could lend to interpretation more about a general girl/girls, rather than a specific one. It still seems kind of pointedly about a single instance, a snapshot. And the reference to "jiving around" seems to suggest that there is a pattern, whether the singer's or the world's, that this singular person rejected.

    3. I hadn't thought of it that way. But I can def see that. He's is or is part of the bullshit that she just leaves behind.

    Thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon--this my Bubbly friend?

    Yeah, I don't know why, but Janis just jumped in there. I suppose I could google the meaning of this song, did Janis and Cohen ever in cross paths, etc?

    But sometimes it's more fun to wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. It was me. Forgot to sign...

    Bubblebabble

    ReplyDelete

Say WUT?