Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Remains of the Weekend

Time is funny, elusive and mercurial. Thirty minutes can mean the difference between the expanse of an evening laid out before you, or the desperate last hurrah before an inevitable surrender to a sensible bedtime.

To look at this room I live in, (and make no mistake it is a room, with a W.C., but a single room all the same) one wouldn't be able to discern that cleaning and organizing had been the sole occupation of its sole occupant today.

There's dust everywhere, belying the multiple wipe downs and dry moppings of various surfaces. Dirt and grime, even though there was scrubbing and spray and misting and sponging.

Dishes were washed, trash taken out, counters cleaned, boxes unpacked, items repacked and stored out of sight, shelves reorganized, papers filed, laundry folded, and more.

But to walk in a look around, there wouldn't be a clue. Somehow these small living quarters have achieved a discordant homeostasis, and manage to look dirty, unkempt, cluttered and wrecked. There's no indication as to the immense and intense effort and thought (for it requires massive concentration and planning for me to organize anything) that made up my whole day today.

I believe I could have spent the day away from this place, rather than ensconced in it, and achieved the same effect.

This feels somehow representative of a greater and, depressingly, constant theme in my life: no matter how great the effort, the observable and appreciable results are consistently minor. And easily undone. I have never been able to strike the proper balance between working hard and focusing correctly. Whether it's physical health, mental health, skill development, whatever, it just doesn't go anywhere. Except for the recurring Nowhere Fast--my standard destination and acceleration.

It's been like this for several decades, so I fear I'm stuck with it.

********

I inadvertently liked in an earlier post. I have been to more than one bar. There's a place called Rick's. And if you're worth a lick you'll know that everybody comes there sooner or later.

At Rick's yesterday, stopping on my way home. I witnessed two things.

Thing One: I ordered an mixed app plate. It was all fried--gross. But it was also the only thing that had vegetables on it. Compromise. The platter was enormous, and some folks at the end of the bar (seemed like regulars) commented on it.

I offered to split it with them, which engendered a curious set of responses. One guy seemed almost offended, asking if I had assumed that he was angling for some of my food. One of his companions said my offer was probably the nicest thing she had ever heard anyone say at a bar. I just noted that the amount of food was enormous, and I was certainly not going to finish it.

Thing Two: Quite suddenly, the bar began to fill up with people in feather boas and plastic fedoras. They had slips of paper and in a matter of 15 minutes a second bartender appeared because it was Pub Crawl time.

Now, apparently, this Pub Crawl (one of two occurring that day, per the bartender) was for charity. None of the participants I spoke to seem to be aware of what charity they were supporting, but all seemed very enthusiastic about their support. From what I could glean, some organizer makes a deal with some local bars for discounted drinks. Participants in the Crawl buy a wristband and commence to drinking and wandering about.

There are teams, and some type of contests as well. (Who can get the drunkest? I don't know.)

It was an intense experience. I would have liked to stay longer, just to witness the deranged but familiar insanity of it all. However, my parking meter was just about up.

And to think, all this time I've been selfishly drinking for my own amusement, when I could have been guzzling philanthropically. I'm ashamed.

**********

I gave a friend a birthday card this week. I'm pretty sure I watched him throw it away in front of me later the same day.

Ironically, one of the boxes of my crap from back East arrived this past week. It contained an entire shoebox filled with various holiday and birthday cards I've received the last few years.

I received one Christmas card this year. I've spent two weeks shuffling it into various piles around my apartment, trying to make myself throw it away.

I have often wished I was much less sentimental than I am. It doesn't do me much good, and worse, I certainly don't get any credit for it. I'm often accused of the opposite--of being harsh, callous, cold, brutal. What's the use in a box full of old cards? I think I give them more meaning than the senders intend.

*********

I wanted to sit outside in the sun today. My neighbor, nice enough guy, likes to refinish cars on weekends. The fumes of primer and various other chemicals make it hard to enjoy the otherwise pristine air of this place. I also suspect that once side of my car is going to end up a different color in the next couple of months--slowly accumulating the paint dust that's drifting the 10 feet across the back driveways.

***********

This is the part where I could post about all the things that are bumming me out. But who wants to read that?

*********

This entry was brought to you by Mt. Beanaminjaro and LB3, assisted by two afghans, with tech support from a temporarily purloined MacBook from work. I still don't grok this OS, but I love wi-fi and a laptop.

4 comments:

  1. I seen a pub crawl once. Just once.

    It was a few years ago when me and the wife made our first trip to LA together. It was Memorial Day weekend and my birthday was coming up, we had tickets to see the Dodgers.

    One of the days we were there, we walked with my brother-in-law over to a bar on the Redondo Pier called Nadja's. Great bar, many beers on tap.

    A pub crawl came in, a score or more beautiful people dressed in plaid pants, shorts, skits, and whathaveyou. They were supposed to be geeks and nerds, complete with black-frame glasses covered in tape.

    I don't see how women with gravity-defying boobs and men that look like they were chiseled from granite think that wearing stupid glasses and plaid can make them geeks. I guess they figured they were uber-mensch geeks, or something.

    The missus got kind of ticked I checked out one girl's butt. Short plaid shorts. It's all I can say.

    You're definitely right, we've been doing it wrong for years. All that money spent getting wasted for my own amusement, I could have done for charity and got a tax write-off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On saving cards: Someone loved enough, cared enough or simply was compulsive enough to take the time to spend and send. You (and I) were thought about. When I achieved official single status (after 23 years of being a married person) the loss of all those "married" friends led me to stop taking the card sending efforts of others for granted. The few who now send those tokens are meaningful people in my life. I save the cards in a drawer for reference when I feel lonely or pitiful. Thou art not alone. Save those cards without guilt.

    On a radical shift of subject: the man thou callest "Pretty" is in my neighborhood this week. I know that your inner stalker will wish me happy hunting for a perhaps not-so-chance encounter. Blessings to the "tweeter" or is it "twitterer" who confirmed his arrival.
    orchidlover

    ReplyDelete
  3. OL--

    It's one of those completely patterned and predictable things in life that people never seem to warn you about: the alterations to all aspects of your life from a "status change." Whether it be a relationship change, socio economic change, geographic change--you realize, often much to your surprised dismay, that people draw lines you never even knew where there. People pick sides when nobody asked them to. And people don't like change, even if it's yours and not theirs. Thanks for the camaraderie on the card front. Each time I see any memento like that it does remind me that somebody, somewhere, at sometime, cared.

    I am of mixed feelings of wishing you success in your Pretty Sightings. While I wholly endorse saturating yourself in as much beauty as you can stand in one lifetime, I worry for your mental health.

    Will you be able to stand it? Will you be able to speak? Will you get an attack of the vapors? Be careful, pack smelling salts, and good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for a wonderful laugh. As I rarely use the words mental and health in the same sentence, the risk should be minimal. Stand it, oh yeah like for hours. Speak, not so sure, perhaps in a language that no one will ever understand (blather comes to mind). Vapors, never have, can't imagine. Wishes for luck are deeply appreciated. More if there is any...Chet signing out ;-)
    OL

    ReplyDelete

Say WUT?