Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Monday, May 9, 2011

To Properly Express How I Feel About Being Laid Off

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/additem/363891985

Delivered from the dungeons of banality into a world of possibilities. The people I really care about got to keep their jobs. And because my boss (one of the laid off) is a bad motherfucker, he negotiated an excellent exit for those of us getting fired.

I'm not truly free until July 15th. And who knows what will happen. I've got my eye on a particularly promising job, but I don't know if it will pan out. Won't know for a few weeks.

Should I get a part time job? Start sending out resumes now? Should I say sod it all and plan to take a month or two off? Should I visit an ashram?

I don't know. It's too soon to tell and yet I know that the time will pass too quickly to make proper plans.

But I am relieved. I was relieved when I first suspected this to be a possibility. My heart was never in this job, lucky as I have been to have it. I truly feel better. I couldn't bring myself to quit, so a little deus ex machina was the kick in the pants to get things rolling in a new direction. And ANY direction is better than the one I've been on.

I might not be so optimistic in 5 months, if I find myself jobless and homeless. But then again, if you gotta be homeless, this is the place to do it. Weather is fantastic.

They sent us home today so we could process and grieve. I believe I shall eat chocolates and watch bad television.

I may be the only person who's ever been so happy to get shitcanned.

7 comments:

  1. Holy Cr$% Hawk!! My Monday just took on a very positive tone compared to yours. I'm relieved that you're happy about today's events, cause I'd be freakin out. Are you sure you aren't just in shock? Please, do not delay your search for employment. Not to scare you, but I've had a friend with great skills look for a year to find a job and she lives in the "windy city" where one would think that opportunities would be plentiful. LOL, yes you do live in a temperate climate conducive to being on the street or the beach, but if I come west how would I find you to buy you a beer? (which is acceptable to drink from the bottle BTW. Read about how you like to party). I really mean to sound supportive. Hope it comes across that way.
    OL

    ReplyDelete
  2. OL--

    Thanks for the concern and advice.

    The way this whole thing came down was not much a surprise, and really worked out quite well. My boss was not going to let the upper level schmucks screw anybody over (and they are some greedy little bastards).

    This really is a good thing. I need to do something with my life, and this is a move in the right direction. Like I said, I've got a line on a really good prospect. If that doesn't pull through, I'll have to work out some other things. I'm way too neurotic not to develop some back up plans.

    But then again, maybe I'll figure some stuff out about myself. It might be time to move to that mountain top. Or follow some silly dream I've putting off.

    And believe me, if you come to the Coast with the promise of free beer, I will find you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All things considered, this is one of the more uplifting getting-laid-off stories. Well done!(?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on your boss. Hope your optimism pays off.

    Life continues to be absurd in my little world, too. Have you ever wrecked a garage door before? I have. What a feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh hurney, don't feel bad. I have a makeshift tarp/carport that is anchored with PVC pipes in planters.

    I have busted up the dish on the driver's side planter so many times now, it's utterly pointless to buy a new one. And I took out the terra cotta planter on the passenger side one, still not sure how I did that.

    Just remember, we both know someone that actually ran their car into our parents bedroom wall (on Palm Circle).

    I've personally backed over more shit than I care to count. I think that's why I always laugh so hard at that part in the Tiny Toons movie where they mow down Plucky a few times in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, at least I didn't kill anybody. And I'm beginning to think the Oldsmobile is indestructible.

    What is your new job prospect? Can you talk about it? Babby needs to know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Babby should call on the phone sometime. I can talk about it then. It's the "hurry up and wait" period, so not too much to tell.

    As for the garage door, I am truely sorry for its lots.

    ReplyDelete

Say WUT?