Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What Time Is It? 4:29?

It's Miller Time.

So I dropped the Meowzda off for repairs, and will be sans car probably until next week. But you know I ain't got no job, I ain't got shit to do.

Speaking of not having a job, apparently there is a hiccough in my unemployment filing--I've yet to receive any monies. I don't know what's wrong, because the automated system doesn't recognize my information and you can't get a live person on the phone. I've sent an email. We'll see how THAT goes.

Otherwise, I'm ridiculously proud of myself because I managed to get my car to the body shop, walk the two miles home, and buy toilet paper. All in the same day!

A while back my friend Blau took me for a celebratory ride in Supersonic Audi of Screaming Death. This is his new babby, a two seater, ten cylinder, dream of a machine.

Please note: This is actual photo of his actual car. No shit.

So, nothing really says "Damn, it's good to be Not Dead" nearly so much as speeding down the back end of Mullholland, through Decker Canyon, and topping out somewhere in the three digit area.

Blau has mentioned he particularly likes to take me driving, because he can go faster with me in the car than with any other passenger. This is due to the fact that at top speeds I lose all higher brain function and begin to giggle and clap my hands uncontrollably. No, seriously.

Aside from the incredible scenery and the awesome driving of my pal, it's just a nice route to take, no matter what your velocity.

Picturesque.

Beautiful, gorgeous. Wish you were here.

Now we're getting kinky, yah?

Wheeeeee!
Contrary to what you may think, the best part wasn't the top speeds. The absolute bestest, most amazing part was the hairpin turns. And I'm not kidding about the shape: these are not gentle arcs or even lazy Ssszsssszz. Balls to the wall hairpin.

There's this magical thing that can happen when entering turns/curves--if you manage the car just right, you don't have to break. If you manage it even better, you don't have to accelerate. There is this incredible moment of free fall, 0 G, unbelievable zen, as you take and complete a turn all at the same mph.

Somewhere out on Decker, Blau hit that magical point and we did 40 mph through a hairpin. It doesn't sound fast, but it was AS fast as we could take that curve. And that Audi cornered like it was on rails. And because he's just that cool, Blau had Beethoven playing for us, with the road almost cued to the music.

We came out of Malibu and ate incredibly fresh, greasy, fried seafood at a tiny dive that literally sat across the street from the Pacific. I said, "If you had anybody come to SoCal, took them on that drive, and then just casually stopped by this place, they'd be sold. They'd never leave." Blau was in agreement, and said that's pretty much how it happened to him.

Speed of Awesome.

Prescription for America: Less Prozac and booze, more fast driving in gorgeous locales with unbelievable climates.

3 comments:

  1. I understand the whole 0G on a turn thing. I love driving that. It wasn't a hairpin turn, but I love driving (not braking or coasting)through a good turn. Only done it with a standard transmission. Your friend and his car are awesome.
    And please, torment me some more with your climate. There is a constant 30 degree difference in daily temperatures. I'm convinced I live in one of the circles of hell. My trip to LA does not happen until November and hopefully by then temps here will be closer to temps there or I may not come home.
    You're going to write about Jane Eyre? I do sincerely look forward to that.
    Happy to read a smile in your post. Better fortune.

    OL

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I moved here, your long, lost cousin twice removed took me for a ride in turbo-charged Dodge Neon Death Machine up in the mountains. It was one of the best thrill rides I'd ever been on.

    Until this guy we know out here took me for a ride in his turbo-charged 1960-something Volkswagen Beetle Death Machine. It was like riding a go-kart from the bad side of town that kicked Hell's ass.

    Seriously. You could look out the back window and see fire shooting out of the turbo! I think we did a wheelie too.

    What was awesome, was the brakes were pretty much shot and there was only a lap belt.

    Yeah.

    But I digress. I love the roads here. I used to love cruising around in my 'Stang, trying to push the car to the limits. I didn't hit the speeds blau could in his machine, but it didn't matter, it was the feeling I got being in the car and on the road.

    It was bitchin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love it. All I can say is: Wow, man.
    --champagne rules

    ReplyDelete

Say WUT?