Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Then This Occured. . .

I don't have A/C, but I do have skylights that are open to cool the house. So I hear a lot of ambient noise from the street, neighbors, local pets, etc.

Tonight I thought I heard the unmistakable strum of an electric guitar. Just a few quick chords. For some reason, I walked out my front door to track the sound and ended up in front of the building, at a neighbor's open door.

Bringing me into the acquaintance of Russell and Faye. I've seen Faye before, and she has always greeted me warmly, the type of person who is casual with their use of endearments.

Next thing I knew I was in their living room, as Faye prepared a little tin foil package of some leftover items she had from an event she catered that night. Her business card says "The Cake Fairy," and somebody gets to have lemon drizzle cake for breakfast tomorrow. (hint: it's me)

Her husband Russell perched on a stool, holding a gorgeous slim silhouette hollow body that looked like a Rickenbacker but wasn't. He teaches guitar and writes for film and television. I mention my sister was just in town, and she's learning to play. Faye decides that I sing. I agree that I do, no matter who objects.

I ended up giving Faye a hug, because she's just that kind of person. At the first offer of the leftover treats I declined and said maybe tomorrow. She said, "Say 'yes' today." How can one argue against that kind of philosophy?

She called me Angel and bid me goodnight. The whole thing happened so fast. I petted their teensy little Chihuahua.

There are so many coincidences, synchronicities here. . . if you are looking for meaning and connections, you will find them, create them. It's all about perception. But still, sometimes they get thrown in your face so hard, it's difficult not to laugh and wonder if the world isn't having a go at you.

They say people here are mean, rude, and self involved. But my time here to date has consistently shown that to be a gross and incorrect generalization.

It is *different* though. I sometimes feel that I'm just kind of wandering from one strange movie scene to the next. An Extra for the Universal Play, bouncing between sets. It's not a bad feeling. And sometimes I even score food. :)

3 comments:

  1. When I moved out here, I was not used to people being cool, to be cool. There was this attitude that I got from people before in Florida that always seemed to give me the a bad vibe. One of the many reasons I decided to just hang at a bar.

    Anyhoo, when I met some of the folks I've since become friends with out here, they were all very open to letting me in. I guess that's why I feel very close to these people, because they were cool to me for no reason, no agenda, and I brought no agenda other the mentality of "be good to the locals, and they will be good to you".

    I'd say it's paid off in spades.

    ReplyDelete

Say WUT?