Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Dark Little Treat of a Scene

SPOILER ALERT (for a movie you will never see) called Dream Lover. If you like the idea of film noir, or if the film Double Indemnity means anything to you, stop reading this right now and go find a copy of this film. Shoot, I think you can watch the whole thing on the YouTubes interwebz you kids like to use.

I have just rewatched the ending to this movie three times in a row. I'm posting the very last words of the scene, and of the film. On paper it probably doesn't look like much. But the delivery in this whole scene is prime.

He: Who are you, Lena? Who will you be when you die?


She: You don't have the guts.


He: Don't I?


She: No Ray. You're too practical. And what about the consequences?


He: There are no consequences. That's the flaw in your plan. I'm crazy. You've driven me crazy.


She: That was the whole idea.


He: Well crazy people aren't responsible. Crazy people aren't legally responsible. Not guilty by reason of insanity. In a year, I'll be sane again. And they'll have to let me out. 


Okay, I know I've been fanwanking about Spader here a bit. But Got-dayum. This may not be the best movie he's ever done, but this may be one of his best pieces of acting ever.

Bold words, I know. Especially since I have barely touched a third of his film oeuvre, but this is striking me as really good. I mean---look, I just told you I watched the last ten minutes three times in a row.

The trick here is that we get all of the Spadery-goodness wrapped up in one character. But you don't even realize you're getting it, or that he's done it, until the credits roll. For the price of a single admission you get Sensitive!Spader, Schlemiel!Spader, Sexy!Spader, Breakdown!Spader, Crazy!Spader, and a special appearance of the legendary Shark!Spader (know him by his eyes, his cold, predatory, hypnotizing eyes).

Okay, let me take it out of Spaderisms and put it like this: what's done in this film is to take the Everyman role, place him in the WTF Is Going On plot, and have it sell, completely. Our protagonist is a nice guy, but not too nice. He loves his wife and wants to believe her, but he still has doubts. We suspect right along with him, probably more than him. And we get to watch him talk himself out it, fall for seduction, and develop the quirks, paranoia, rage and other emotions you'd imagine a real person going through in such a situation.

Lots of actors do great jobs playing characters that kind of blow our minds. Anthony Hopkin's Hannibal Lecter is great example. It's a stellar performance, and Sir Tony does the amazing job of making you believe in an unbelievable character. An unrelatable character. A person (most) people will never meet, yet we believe he exists.

But playing the character that you do know. The guy you could be, or could be your best friend. And watching *that* person go through a slow descent into a surreal crisis. Watching your Everyman evolve, adapt, or maybe just finally flex a muscle that was only hinted at earlier---that takes some talent.

I'm not doing a very good job here. In other movies, when the villain gets their comeuppance at the hands of our Finally-Driven-To-The-Edge hero, it's usually an accident. Or self defense. Or temporary insanity. Or just a nice satisfying bullet to the face that makes the audience feel good, but doesn't really necessarily jibe with the Hero's character. But it works for the plot, so. . .

What's amazing about what Spader does here is that it is totally within his character, within the realm of plot possibility, and even though it's surprising, it's still plausible. When our Hero gets his revenge, it's beyond revenge. And even though we know he's this sweet, loving, caring, Average Joe, we also know that he's smart enough, mad enough, has the history for it, and maybe just secretly shitty enough to pull it off.

The last scene is the corker. Because that's when it all gels. You get about 5 Spaders! in rapid succession, but it isn't hammy or overblown. It's just our Hero, taken to a logical conclusion. And maybe, just like all of us, with a little more of the abyss inside than we ever like to admit.

6 comments:

  1. Good morning sunshine. Great review of a great film. Up in my top ten favorites, and I've seen them all. Which films have you seen, and I can recommend where to watch next?
    orchidlover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, my Spaderphilic friend!

    Yes, you've busted me. I'm doing one of my classic maneuvers. Some call it overkill, but I like to think of it as a careful and thoughtful analysis of the arts. Or at least that's what I tell my probation officer and therapist.

    You really want to know what I've seen so far? I'll have to figure that out, but I can tell you that next up (thanks to the combined magic of Netflix via my laptop and half.com):

    Supernova (what? i like it, okay? judging by all the reviews, i'm must have some sort of dementia that gives me a soft spot for this movie. it's like me and Virtuosity or Someone Like You. I genuinely like those movies)
    Jack's Back
    Starcrossed
    Sex, Lies, and Videotape
    Critical Care
    Driftwood
    Keys to Tulsa
    2 Days in the Valley
    Alien Hunter
    Less Than Zero
    The Watcher


    Movies that I can actually count as having viewed:
    The Stickup
    Secretary
    Speaking of Sex
    Slow Burn
    The Watcher
    Crash
    Stargate
    Wolf
    Dream Lover
    Baby Boom
    White Palace
    Bad Influence
    Cocaine: One Man's Seduction (TV movie)*
    Supernova

    *Cheated.Just watched highlight reels on YouTube.

    Movies that I saw but not really, or have only seen pieces of (therefore need to actually watch):

    The Watcher
    Bob Roberts
    Sex, Lies, and Videotape


    As long as I'm admitting just how pathetic I am, my to watch list is actually even bigger than that. I have yet to do the full thorough Netflix search, so this is probably going to be Epic and Shameful pretty soon.

    I think I can get Tuff Turf from Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done fairly well with the Spader filmography. Of those you have seen which are your favorites? I have seen everything he has done on film (TV and movies) and my faves are: slv, Secretary, and White Palace followed by Bad Influence, The Stickup (love seeing him and his lady love together) and Stargate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of the "to watch" list my idea of the best are Jack's Back (Spader plays twins) Starcrossed (baby Spader, sweet film)Sex,lies and Videotape (must see start to finish, need to own)Keys to Tulsa (what I call Spader "dark", interesting film) Alien Hunter (decent sci-fi),The Watcher (Spader's portrayal of a burned out human being who somehow manages to keep going makes this film).
    2 Days and Less Than Zero are not films I much enjoy although Spader takes evil to new depths in both. Watched Driftwood for the second time ever this weekend and still can find nothing to recommend it. Would be interested on your take when you do.
    If you are interested I can give you a link to a board where there are reviews of his films that are thoughtfully written. Spoilers though, so you may want to see a few more before reading.
    orchidlover

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always interested in reading other's thoughts on films/books, etc. If the reviews are easily identifiable/sortable, I can just skip the ones I haven't seen. Long winded way of saying: yes, I'd be interested in the link.

    That's actually something I wish there was more of--film discussion. There are reviews--which can contain aspects of discussion but get spoilerly if they get too into it. It seems like discussion of film/books is often a subset of a site, a folder tucked away somewhere on a message board about unrelated material.

    Or else, even on an intelligent site, it's just endless blog posts either agreeing or disagreeing with the original poster, and without much discussion about the art itself.

    Thanks for your rec's. I'm so glad you listed your favorites, because that was one of my natural next questions! ;)

    I JUST watched Jack's Back (I somehow found it for free on IMDB, but I think it might really have been Hulu????)

    It's hard for me to say what I like best so far--I'm kinda on a tear hear so it's all blurring together a bit.

    But I think there are def going to end up being two lists for me: my favorite Spader movies/roles, and the best Spader movies/roles.

    Right now, the movies I'm enjoying the most are:

    --Wolf. It's a fun movie, and Stewart is such a wonderful, ruthless, quiet sleaze. When he starts wolfing out, it's an awesome and fun manifestation of what was inside all along. I should probably buy this movie.

    --The Secretary. This is one I have enjoyed from the start as just a good movie. Though, upon repeat viewings I find myself having more and more questions about the characters. I need to let it go and just enjoy the dark, but sweet nature of the film.

    --Supernova. This movie should probably fall into the guilty pleasure group. It was a chance viewing of this that made me realize how much I enjoyed Spader's acting. I have this happen a lot. I'll hear a song, see a movie, read a book, and realize that I've somehow become a fan without knowing it. And then the blitzkrieg begins. :)

    --Jack's Back. Okay, look, I love Roadhouse. Love. It. So maybe that's why this one appeals as well. It's not nearly as balls out wonderfully over the top. But it's a fun little potboiler. It wasn't impossible to figure, but there were enough small turns and twists to keep you on your toes. It's a small touch, but in a world full of telegraphed messages, I really appreciate that even though there was an Obvious Villain, I was still wondering if I had it figured out.

    White Palace gets a special mention because I just rewatched it for the first time, well, probably since my initial viewing. It wasn't quite how I remembered, and I'm sorting through that. Sarandon really sells the roughness, desperation, and unsophistication of her character--which is a little unnerving. I'm not sure these two people should be together. But, um, as Norah points out, Max is so damn beautiful its kind of breathtaking sometimes.

    I have a feeling that The Watcher may end up on this list. I have a sweet spot for movies of that ilk, and what I remember of it was engaging and likable. If you don't hear from me on Driftwood, remind me and I'll let you know what I think.

    Which makes me wonder---do you discuss films, or even just Spader films, on any public forum? I know there are communities for just about everything out there. I know this is my blog, so I probably shouldn't feel self indulgent for using it as a sounding board for my ocd stuff. And yet. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. First to my top five:
    Stargate
    Sex,lies and videotape
    White Palace
    Curtain Call
    Secretary
    You can find the film reviews here http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=538989
    I have found this writer to be both entertaining and knowledgeable about films in general. Most of the replies are of the "blog agree/disagree" variety, and the thread is devoted exclusively to Spader's films, but it is a good read and the writer will respond to a good discussion. Personally, I discuss all things Spader here: http://brigitte.proboards.com/index.cgi
    There is a mix of male and female members on this fansite and the discussions can be fun or serious. You can certainly browse anonymously forever, but to post you must register. We'd love to have you join us.
    orchidlover

    ReplyDelete

Say WUT?