Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Awake. Laughing. Crying.

I can give no just cause for the first, which descended upon me around 1:00 am today.

However, I can provide for the latter two.

I used to watch this show and I will never forget the fireman skit. Bless Harvey Corman.



Watch as Tim Conway lays waste to his castmates, but Vicki Lawrence steals the show.


Remember when I mentioned the film short Derek? Well, it looks like the whole pilot is available online.


Yup, this is the one that made me cry. Damn Ricky Gervais.

Whatever your feelings are, I urge you to take a few minutes and watch this short.

I know some people don't care for Mr. Gervais. He makes fun of stupid people. He takes shots at celebrities at industry events. People accuse him of being cruel, insensitive, and a bully. I disagree. I think Ricky Gervais is a mirror. He attempts to embody and reflect all the foibles of humanity. But he also allows some little grace to come through as well. His creative output is never one note; it's not just comedic, or dramatic, or even just satirical. His work is so bloody full of pathos that it's sometimes hard to bear--there's a terrible familiarity about the worlds that Gervais creates. We are acquainted with all the awkward denizens, we are familiar with the uncomfortable silences, we know all too well the crushing inherent sense of futility and repetition.

And yet. There's that grace note. In The Invention of Lying, the impetus for a human failing (lying) is to provide solace and comfort for loved ones. Gervais' character just wants to console his mother--and not even with real items, but just the concept of peace and prosperity, the notion of rest and care. All of his work is like this, small gems of kindness amidst the rocks of life. They are somehow more touching than all the grand gestures and sweeping overtures of other works, perhaps because Gervais presents us with such an unflinching portrayal of the worst of us, the best can't help but be brilliant in comparison.

Whether silly or snide, goofy or gloomy, the consistent push from Gervais is to Look, to See, and to Think. I think the man may be cursed with an unhappily keen understanding of human nature. He demands logic and reason, and where he finds none he'll let you know. Loudly.

As for the titular character in Derek? He's one of Gervais' genuinely sweetest characters to date. It wasn't until I saw this short that I realized Ricky could act. What at first seems like a cruel mime show quickly turns into a part played with fearless physicality. Derek is ugly. Derek is awkward. Derek is Not Situationaly Aware. Derek is a nuisance. He is one of the guileless people born or bred to be tone deaf to the subtle notes of human interaction.

Derek is also loving. Loyal. Tirelessly honest. Affectionate. Kind. I'm glad I don't know Derek, because he breaks my heart.

And that's all I have to say about that.

2 comments:

  1. Beauty and pain are often indistinguishable.

    ~Lin Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I know I've found a few things in life that are so beautiful they seem to cause pain. A pain of apprehension?--dunno how to describe it.

      Delete

Say WUT?