Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

For People That Don't Think We Need Healthcare Reform

This is a post I don't want to make because it's messy, complicated, leads to tangents, and makes me mad. However, this line of thought has occurred to me so many times, and caused me so much stress, that I feel compelled to record it.

I don't care what your politics are; healthcare needs to be examined and overhauled. The changes made can't come soon enough and are probably too little too late for hundreds of thousands as it is. I'm not even sure why healthcare is a matter of party allegiance. The more I see, the less sense party affiliation makes.

I assume that the point of labels like "Democrat" and "Republican" are to provide a shorthand for understanding the viewpoints of the party members. But this seems like engineered prejudice and ignorance. Shouldn't our legislators be people who weigh each issue as it appears, taking into consideration current and future ramifications? Instead, we have two (nigh indistinguishable) parties that have made up their minds on the answer before they ever hear the specific question. This doesn't strike anyone else as Totally Verkakte?

At any rate, healthcare is the general point of this post. So here's a single healthcare story for you, broken down into salient points for easy digestion:

  • Exhibit A: Tax paying US citizen who has worked entire adult life. 
  • Citizen takes a new job, moves across country, incurs debt for relocation and increase cost of living
  • Citizen is laid off from job after 6 months
  • Due to this lay off, citizen loses income and health benefits
  • Four weeks before lay off, citizen is diagnosed with cancer
  • Citizen manages to work with doctors and staff and gets surgery and bulk of treatment done before lay off. 
  • However, this does not cover post op and follow up treatments. Medication is FOR LIFE. Adjustment and required testing to ensure proper medication and critical cancer repression can take up to ONE YEAR POST OP. 
  • Citizen is eligible for COBRA continued insurance benefits, which clock in at approx $500/month.
  • Citizen is not eligible for major medical coverage or other state or federal programs, because they are "eligible" for COBRA. In addition, most "relief" programs require the participant to have an uncovered period of 6 months to a year.
  • Citizen's unemployment benefits cannot cover rent and the COBRA payments. This does not factor in car payments, food, debt, utilities, gasoline, etc.
  • Citizen's monthly medical bills, barring a recurrence of cancer or an unforeseen medical emergency, clock in at less than the COBRA $500/month. However, if the health insurance is allowed to lapse it can have far reaching effects. Even if the citizen gets a job with health coverage in the next three months, they could fall into the category of PRE EXISTING CONDITION. This fun little clause allows an insurance company to deny payment on services rendered for up to ONE YEAR. For example, this citizen's medication and cancer screenings could still be out of pocket for up to a year. The only way to insure this doesn't happen is to have NO LAPSES IN COVERAGE.
  • Citizen now faces several critical items: recovery from major illness, job hunting in depressed economy (that's RIGHT, I SAID IT, depressed depressed depression depressed), and whether to put money towards health insurance or rent and food.
Does this seem like a reasonable system to you? Everything is all fair and works out? Just like with our credit cards, we've created a world we can't afford to live in. I've worked steady jobs my whole life. I've always paid my taxes. I give to charities. And I can't even afford to keep myself alive . This didn't happen to me because I'm lazy or careless. This kind of thing is happening to Everybody. 

Wake up, America. Quit letting speculative future greed and the machinations of the economically elite crap all over you. This isn't about politics. The American Dream is more ephemeral than ever; none of us will ever know the pain of paying taxes on our millions and billions because we can't even afford our cable and cell phone bills.

The system isn't just broken. It's killing us.

6 comments:

  1. I'm weighing in on this as a person who has never trusted doctors or the health care system. I don't think the answer is "free" health care paid for by taxes. I think we should have to pay for services we receive (even the necessary ones). I think we should be able to crack down on the shameless overcharging that doctors and hospitals get away with.
    I think that the gubment should subsidize (sp) research.
    I understand that education is expensive, but is any persons time worth $60 for 5 minutes?
    What incentive is there to cure diseases that make them rich?
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many first world counties that are able to take care of all their citizens. Costs are minimized because their govts step in and collectively bargain on the behalf of millons of their people.

    I know a goodly number of people in my industry who have happily expatriated and many who are from these countries who think we are batsh!t crazy for our system. We are.

    If we can blow several hundred billions on a bullsh!t war then we can provide health care.

    This is not a simple topic but the arguments against providing care are absurd on their face.

    Lin Lin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I hate that this shit's happening to you. I can only say be glad you're not married or have a child. This would drive you even crazier.

    I'll check out the "We Are the 99%" tumblr page from time to time, and the most common complaint, other than people freaking out about not having any money to pay their bills, is that they need healthcare for themselves and their families.

    I mean, if there was a state-run healthcare system, like every other civilized country has, that would be one less thing that the citizens like you and me have to worry about.

    I was talking with my mom about this, I have about $200 a month for medical deducted from my paychecks to cover me and my kid. If we have a second child or put the missus on my insurance (she's on a separate plan provided by her job at no cost to her), then that would go up to $400 a month (because it would be a family plan) and that's not counting eye-care and dental, those are separate from the medical plan. Here's the kicker: Cara was told by the insurance rep for her company that he couldn't set up an insurance plan that was as cheap as my company's! Apparently, $200 a month for 2 people and $400 for a family is cheap.

    Now imagine what I could do with that $200-$400 that's taken out of my paychecks every month: I could use it to pay off debt, save money for my kid's future, take a trip to see my family in Florida, possibly move to a better neighborhood, there's all kinds of shit I could do with that money, but because of corporate and government greed, I can't.

    And I fucking hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hetro-well said, and I love that you are astute enough to see that it should not be dictated by a "party" but rather what's best for the citizens. So often people get caught up in the Republican vs. Democrat, liberal vs. conservative label that they don't listen to the other side's possibly good idea. Just because someone may be known as a "republican" doesn't mean that a "democrat" should immediately veto the idea (and vice versa). This is why I hate politics. Nothing gets done so that people can vote in blocks rather than on issues.

    Thinking of you personally, as well as all others in your same situation. Hoping there's a way out of this mess. There is a better way and we need to find it. Sooner, rather than later.

    Albeson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup. Agree. Cross-posting a few statistics from something I wrote in September... two years ago:

    http://www.ideology.com/ideology/read_blog/Entries/2009/9/1_The_Healthcare_Hoopla..html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, very impressive (and depressive) figures.

    The US coming in at #37 ought to tell us something. That's 37th in managing preventable deaths.

    Quick and interesting articles here:

    http://allcountries.org/health/usa_health_care_2008_nyt.html

    ReplyDelete

Say WUT?