Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Big Brother Is Watching, And Tracking. And Storing.

Okay, this is where my paranoid friends who are mild technophobes get to scream "Told you so!"

Your cell phone is a spy. Your carrier is tracking you. Hell, there's a company that specializes in the software they surreptiously install on the phone for this precise purpose. Motives? That's up for debate. But they sure as shit were quick to try and shut up the guy who pointed this out.

All your keystroke are belong to us.

But it's not just specialty software. Their record keeping practices are creepy as well. Conspiracy theorists will say this is at the behest of the government. Carriers could make the argument  that it's for quality assurance and metrics. But I think the fact that this information was originally submitted as a "Law Enforcement Only" document for the Justice Department is a bit alarming.


Keeping tabs on the Joneses.

For accuracy's sake, I must mention that I haven't followed my customary three sources rule to confirm these reports. And they both come from the same source, Wired magazine. Because of the video and document evidence presented with these articles, I'm taking them at initial face value.

And I was going to post a bunch of other stuff, but this depressed me. And my computer stopped working, as usual. Conspiracy against facts, or conspiracy against an OS that operates for more than a few years?

To cheer myself up, something I found while responding to comments today.


2 comments:

  1. And what about those boxes from the cable company that allow you to watch "digital channels". My company called me at least once a week to tell me that I was paying for service that I wasn't receiving because I didn't have "the box". I kept telling them that I knew they were spying on people with that box, that the whole world went digital without boxes and had to replace old televisions and that they weren't putting a box in my house. I asked them to lower the cost of my service instead. I got maniacal laughter. If you have a cable "box" to get digital tv don't walk through the room naked. They're watching you.....
    Do you think this makes me one of your paranoid friends?

    OL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it does. But that doesn't mean you're wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete

Say WUT?