Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Busy Couple Of Weeks

Well, there's been some doings around here. I guess I should qualify that "busy" tag: it's been comparatively busy for a person with thyroid deficiency who gets pooped out by more than one activity a day.

I have begun the job search in semi-earnestness. Still trying to balance something I'm interested in against things for which I qualify. My current paradigm is to apply for jobs I can do (but will dislike) that make the money I want.  On the other hand, I'm looking at any job that skews towards something I might like, regardless of pay. Slim pickings so far, but we'll see.

I have also rebooted my freelancing efforts and started my own small consulting business. Going to market initially to folks I've worked with before. This def falls into category of business I don't want to do for the rest of my life, but doing it on a consultant basis might make a difference. At least it will be work I can take or leave. Fingers crossed that my old associates will want to hire me for some stuff.

The Awesome and Amazing Tink and Pandaman came for a brief visit on their way east. They are relocating for a short while. They are such awesome friends--I think they have been to my house more than anyone else, including folks who live here. They are super easy houseguests, which is saying something in a one room studio.
See, I can cook. And by cook, I mean use prepared pizza crust and WAY too much garlic.

 In honor of my houseguests, and in acknowledgement of the fact that not everyone can live off Triscuit crumbs and milk, I made some food and bought a shitton more.

Easy as they may be, Tink and Panda are also very tricksy. I turned my back for a second, and suddenly all their stuff was in my house.

This is before they went out and bought a bed and more stuff!

Joke was on them, though. Even though it was just the contents of a mini Cooper, their stuff could not fit in my house. Hahahahaha, poverty wins again! It's funny that even in a 36 hour stretch, we manage to create jokes, have theme songs, and run them into the ground. For this visit it was:


--"Total Eclipse of the Heart." So very many unintentional times.
--Taking back "Fuck you!"
--Candy. Candy. Candy. And Ice Cream!
--Incidental music was provided by Mike Tyson.



They carried on their merry way the next day. Will I ever see those mysterious strangers again????

Watch out for this guy. Don't let the awesome chops lull you.
My uncle visited, and we did a quick stroll down Hollywood and drive up in the Hills. Our time in front of Grauman's directly led to me finally getting to stalk see Craig Ferguson tape a show! Lin Lin and Princess O graciously agreed to make these last minute plans with me.

Let me just say that going to a taping is a commitment. It takes hours, you are a clapping monkey, and stupid hobags with too much plastic surgery get chosen to be in Lesbian Row instead of you.

Hello...I dressed up (per site instructions) for this. How dare you put some Botoxed, stretched out, too-light-lipstick-wearing biatches over me! *sigh*

Anyhoo, Craig isn't kidding, that studio is teeny tiny. The staff were foul mouthed and cool, and I'd do it again. Maybe after I lose 50lbs and get some botulism injected into my face.

Serendipitously, frequent commenter and Friend of the Blahg, Orchid Lover, was in town and saw CraigyFerg that same week!  We managed to meet up, in spite of my extreme lateness and doofiness. OL was patient and kind, and we finally got together all too briefly for some cocktails and conversation.

We met up at the Tar Pits, which upon reflection is funny for many reasons. OL is every bit as cool as her comments denote, and I was touched that she took time out of her busy schedule to visit with me.

As I walked her back to her parking garage, we passed the LACMA front installation. My pix don't do it justice, but for what it's worth:



In between frantically cleaning my postage stamp domicile, I also decided to do some autumnal cleaning. In this case, I smoked too much crack and decided I need to downsize my already-downsized makeup collection. In fairness, it's probably well past time to ditch some of these things for expiration of ingredients if nothing else.

Wah! But it should go if it smells off, has separated, etc. Right?
Well, this naturally led into me BUYING MORE MAKESUPS. The lovely Lin Lin actually volunteered (I know, right?) to go with me to Sephora. Hours later, I emerged with a pretty cool kit. Sephora has a neat practice of actually creating sets that contain items from several different brands. I scored a set that had many types of things I wanted to try:

Glitz & Glam--Sephora Favorites.
I could do a review, if anybody is interested.

Retail therapy really does work for me. Makeup shopping/cruising is something my little seester and I used to do. I really miss those times. But going with Lin Lin was fun and I felt picked up afterwards. I think she had fun too--it's always nice to meet a fellow cosmetics junkie.

In cancer/thyroid news, the doc has upped my meds again. I should probably do a summary review, because lord knows I've had trouble finding stuff in my own searches on the webz. Hopefully I will get my dosing resolved in the next few weeks, as I'm probably having to boot my insurance at the end of 2011. Blatherblahb welcomes any advice on insurance for "cancer survivors" and other folks unlucky enough to have pre existing conditions.

To close, here is an entry on http://icanhascheezburger.com that had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. I don't know why, but I think it was Igor and Cerberus. Hope you enjoy.

http://icanhascheezburger.com/cheezburger-confidential-tacgnol/

6 comments:

  1. There is no such thing as too much garlic...
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't taste this pizza. You should visit CA. Apparently every single restaurant here agrees with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hawk! I'm back in a different kind of tar pit, my life NOT on vacation. Oh for those lazy carefree days in California. Twar wunderful to spend time with ye. Hope to do it again someday.

    Re: tacgnol, Igor and Cerberus, you have a noticible facination with cats ;-)).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geeze, forgot signature again

    OL

    ReplyDelete
  5. OL,

    Sorry you are back to the daily drudgery. Whats the winter forecast for your city--any snow for you guys this year?

    I do love the kittehs. Though the cheezburger ppl have the market cornered--they post so many cute cats that I feel like a senior citizen when I go there. All I can do is go "Awwwwwwww." It's pathetic.

    Seriously though, what kind of dark comic evil genius decided to paste gary busey's head on that thing? I almost got a side stitch from laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fact that it was "one-headed" was awesome...
    S

    ReplyDelete

Say WUT?