Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Blather. Wince. Repeat.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Trick Questions And Wandering The Interwebz

I'm such a nerd. Got a holiday weekend and I've wasted a bit of it online. I don't even play cool games (never did beat 2048, now that I think about it). No, instead I've lost my mind and decided to take online courses.

ALL THE COURSES.

I'm starting with languages, since I'm eternally fascinated by them but have no real practical knowledge. It may very well be that my fascination is summarily killed by the influx of practical knowledge, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I have to. I'm Batman.


Anyhoo, some of the learning sites ask you: What language do you want to learn first?

Ha ha. What a question. My answers, in no particular order and based solely on what is offered, go something like:

Dutch, Russian, Mandarin, Hebrew, Romanian, French, Italian, German and Greek.

But that's just silly. What it should be is:

Spanish, Spanish, Spanish, German, French, and Spanish.

Realistically speaking, Russian and Mandarin are kind of insane goals. They should probably be third/fourth+ language choices, what with the entirely different alphabets and stuff.

German would probably be easiest and has some people I can practice with in real life. However, limited environmental applicability.

Spanish is the solid leader, as a base Romance language as well as something I could easily practice reading, watching, and speaking.

Which leads me to the question: so what the hell am I doing trying to learn Dutch. The hell? I have these other language models queued up, but really I just do those sections so I can go back and do the Dutch part.

As with all my schemes, I imagine this one will drop off after a brief time.

For a look into online free language courses, check out:

http://www.duolingo.com/

http://livemocha.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say WUT?